West Suburban Animal Hospital 

 3265 King Road, Toledo, OH 43617

Phone:   (419) 841-4745

Fax:   (419) 841-6404

wsac@bex.net 

After Hours Emergency

Care Credit Logo.jpg

© 2014 by The West Suburban Animal Hospital. 

  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Google+ Basic Black

March 30, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts

Helping Paws: Surgery Donated to help 10wk old Beagle/Mix from Toledo Area Humane Society

February 17, 2017

1/4
Please reload

Featured Posts

Helping Paws: Surgery Donated to help 10wk old Beagle/Mix from Toledo Area Humane Society

February 17, 2017

Megan, a 10 week old Beagle/mix, was brought in yesterday to see Dr. Thompson by the Toledo Area Humane Society. She had sustained an injury to her left front leg and was not using it properly. After looking at radiographs, Dr. Thompson found that Megan’s left lateral humeral condyle was fractured and needed to be repaired right away. 

 

Megan stayed with us overnight and Dr. Thompson donated his time and supplies to perform

 

surgery this morning. He assured her bones were positioned together so that they lined up perfectly and placed a screw and pin to stabilize the fracture. She made it through the procedure just fine and is resting comfortably on her pain medications.    

 

What is a Humeral Condylar Fracture?

There are three bones that come together to form the elbow joint. These are the humerus, the radius and the ulna.  The radius supports 80% of the weight while the ulna supports the other 20%.  The top of the radius meets the outer half of the bottom of the humerus bone, the lateral humeral condyle, at the level of the elbow joint. Due to this anatomy, the forces that are transmitted through the limb can break off pieces of the lateral humeral condyle. These fractures are common among puppies as they have softer bones than adults.

 

Check out Megan's Before & After x-rays below

 

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Follow Us

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Archive
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square